Foam Rolling Exercises for Your Lats
Here is a selection of our favorite foam rolling exercises for your lats. These show how to stretch and strengthen your Latissimus Dorsi using both a foam roller and a massage ball.
Massaging your Lats with a foam Roller
The following video by the National Academy of Sports Medicine, shows how to target your Lat muscles with the grid foam roller.
How To Foam Roll Your Lats
- Laying in a side plank position, place the foam roller (on the lat) 3 inches below your armpit.
- Straighten your arm with your palm facing up. (use this arm to support then neck if needed)
- To roll the lats, gently lift the hip so the pressure is on the lat muscle. Slowly roll down until the foam roller reaches your armpit.
- Search for tender spots by rolling the torso forwards and backward on the roller.
- When you find a tender spot, stop and hold for 30 seconds.
- Breathe deeply throughout.
How to Stretch and Strengthen Your Lats with a Foam Roller
- Start on your hands and knees. Place one hand on the foam roller and sit back on your heels.
- Reach forward with your arm, so you feel a stretch down the outside of your torso.
- Breathe out as you reach your arm forwards and breathe in as you bring the arm back towards your body.
- Keep a neutral spine throughout and try to bring your chest towards the ground as you reach your arm forward, not just your head.
Now to Strengthen:
- Lay face down with your arms stretch overhead (in a Y formation)
- Keeping the arms straight, lift them straight up from the ground, bringing your shoulder blades together.
- Do this for 10 reps
Next bring your arms straight out to the side forming a T shape
- Perform the same motion, by bringing your arms straight up behind you for 10 reps
Lastly overhead press:
- Bend your arms at the elbow and push them straight up above your head for 10 reps.
- Remember to breathe throughout the exercises.
How to Massage Ball Your Lats
- Laying on your side, place the Massage Ball in the middle of the Lat muscle (just beneath your armpit).
- Straighten your arm and place your palm up, this is your starting position.
- Slowly roll up, at a rate of an inch per second.
- Then roll back down, keeping the pressure on the Lat muscle throughout.
- If you reach a tight spot, stop and hold for 30 seconds.
- Then bring the massage ball back to the middle of the lat muscle.
- Next, you should sweep your arm forward in front of you, then back overhead.
- Do this 4 times.
Remember to breathe throughout this exercise.
Upper Body Foam Rolling Exercises
- How to foam roll your neck muscles
- How to foam roll your shoulder muscles
- How to foam roll your chest muscles
- How to foam roll your lats
- How to foam roll your rhomboids
- How to foam roll your arm muscles